What’s In or Out for Tu B’Shevat?

20 Tevet 5771
December 27, 2010

dried-fruit1The following is submitted by Rabbi Yudel Shain and may be viewed on the rabbi’s website.

Dried figs - are out due to infestation “regardless of the kosher certification”.

Papaya- If it’s “ha’eitz” it’s “vadai-orlah” and can’t be used at all. If it’s “ho’adomah” it doesn’t belong in the mix. (Based on the dispute between Ashkenazi and Sephardi poskim).

Raisins – Most are infested, there are some product still being checked.

Cashews – Low end may be infested, split open & check.

NOTE: There are many prepackaged packages left from last year & may be infested, old, rancid, have mites, etc

JKN adds: This holds true year round when one shops. According to noted expert Rabbi Moshe Vaye, one must check legumes, rice and the like when shopping to ensure they do not appear old or have speckles and other signs of age/prolonged storage, increasing the likelihood of insect infestation.

In addition, JKN hopes to publish an updated list pertaining to dried fruits from the expert, Rabbi Moshe Vaye, ahead of Tu B’Shevat.

• Simon
    December 27, 2010 - 11:16 | Permalink

This is really vague. I’m not sure if one Rabbi’s blog can justifiably rule out whole species of dried fruit for everybody.

• Michael Tzadok
    December 27, 2010 - 15:34 | Permalink

Dried figs – are out due to infestation “regardless of the kosher certification”.

So is this saying that the hescher cannot be trusted? If the items are so infested that they are unusable, then why are BaDaTzim giving them hescherim?

• Shy Guy
    December 27, 2010 - 17:40 | Permalink

How did our forefathers eat dried figs and raisins – grogerot u’tzimukim – in their time?

• a Rov in Yerushalayim
    December 27, 2010 - 22:43 | Permalink

As this is the second time this site has posted unverified information from R’ Yudel Shain, I must again speak up. I am not qualified to judge on the current issue so I wont. However much of it may be of interest to readers with regard to this post too.
    I must note: This comment was removed from the Jerusalem Kosher News site, this calls to question impartiality of these posts even more.
    Anyone who wishes to verify this information can visit this ‘Rabbi’s blogs’ and browse their content. Or speak to any leading Rov or Kashrus professional in the US.

As a Rov who is involved in Kashrus I receive these news alerts. Generally they are accurate and on target.
    I must make known to the public the following information:
    1) Rabbi Shain is known to me personally, while he is an intelligent man he often gets carried away on the war path. Because of this and the insuing distortion of facts HIS VIEWS ARE GENERALLY NOT ACCEPTED by Rabbonim, in kashrus or in other shailos either. I know first hand that this is true by Maran Rav Elyashiv, Harov Belsky and Harav Rubin, besides by all the Rabbonim in Lakewood where he lives and attempts to be active in the community politically and halachicly.
    2) As such this article must be taken with several grains of salt. Anyone wishing to accuratley research the info can speak with Rabbi Sayagh the head of the International Testers Center.
    3) Having been trained by Mr Rosenbrg decades ago does not make anyone into an expert by any means. My father trained by him too but would not involve himself in shailos now after having beeen in practice. This does not seem to bother R Yudel. THE EXPERTS (NAPSTAR) HAVE NEVER TO DATE PUBLICLY STATED ANY PASSULING OF THE ACCUSSED TESTERS.
    4) The style this article is written, as is R` Yudel`s stlye is not a example of derech eretz and proper speech. Such is not the way of of a ben torah. Sadly he has chosen to use such modes of exspressing opionions often and runs a blog that does not conform with the halachos of lashon harah and rechilos.
    5) In my opinion this letter should never have been posted on a chashuvah place like this, rather on blogs…
    6) I AM NOT ENDORSING ANT TESTERS. But warning the public of the michshal of being soimach on such articles.

B`Chovod HaTzibur
    A Rov

R`Yechiel I ask you to verify his information from NAPSTAR and update the tzibbur. I must thank you for your work, however I dont know if you have a connection with R Yudel, but I can say that his article does not belong on a choshuva place like yours. He means well and knows a lot but gets carried away with things and does not listen to Gedolim or show respect to many of our greatest poskim. Sadly R`L this problem is common nowadays , it is not the way of the Torah and beekush ha-emes.

• Mike
    January 2, 2011 - 10:25 | Permalink

R’ Shain writes like a raving lunatic (although I don’t know if he is or isn’t… but he does a great impression).

Is his information correct? I don’t know, but everyone I’ve spoken to says he’s way off base. Of course, perhaps they’re all part of the giant conspiracy, too…

• yechiel-admin
    January 2, 2011 - 12:03 | Permalink

While at times I find Rabbi Shain does indeed swing a scathing pen, I also find that many people who cannot argue regarding the merit of his halachic criticism then turn to character assassination as an alternate, ignoring the issue(s) at hand.